Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently asked questions about the graduate program in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.


  • How do I apply? Where do I submit my application materials?
  • Students apply for admission to graduate study at Mississippi State University online at the Office of the Graduate School, Since the Office of the Graduate School handles all application materials, send all materials to the Office of the Graduate School; do not send any materials directly to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering or to the Bagley College of Engineering. Contact the Office of the Graduate School for questions regarding the application for admission process or what materials are required to be submitted with an admission application.
  • I have an undergraduate degree in Engineering Technology degree - will I be admitted?
  • Probably not. Generally speaking, an Engineering Technology degree does not constitute sufficient background for our graduate programs in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering. While an Engineering Technology degree does not necessarily preclude admission to our program, it does typically entail significant challenges to the completion of the degree. Should admission be granted, a rather significant portion of our undergraduate core curriculum will be required as prerequisites before the graduate degree will be granted. Such undergraduate courses will typically delay the obtaining of the graduate degree by at least two years, and they will not count as graduate credit.
  • Can you give me a preliminary assessment of my credentials?
  • Since we receive applications from all over the world, it is difficult to assess the chances of admission and/or financial support with having a full formal application package, including transcripts, GRE scores, reference letters, etc. As a consequence, we do not make any evaluations until all of the application materials (including the application fee) have been submitted formally to the Office of Graduate Studies.
  • Can the application fee be waived?
  • Neither the university nor the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering will waive the application fee.
  • Do I have to take the GRE?
  • Satisfactory performance on the GRE is required for students with an undergraduate degree from a program that is not EAC/ABET accredited. This would include almost all institutions outside of the United States.
  • What is the minimum GRE score required for admission?
  • There is no minimum score required for admission, but obviously a low score can impact your chances of being admitted. Many of our graduate students score 700 or higher on Quantitative portion of the exam.
  • My application was rejected - will you tell me why?
  • In general, we do not provide detailed reasons for rejection decisions. We receive applications from all over the world, and we consider a variety of aspects of each application before making a decision. We look at course grades as reported on transcripts; standardized test scores (e.g., TOEFL and GRE); recommendation letters; personal statements; and other components of the application package as appropriate. Although we have published minimums for some quantities (i.e., a minimum TOEFL score of 550, a minimum GPA of 3.0 for MS admission, etc.), we do reject some applications with scores above such thresholds. In these cases, the application, considered as a whole, is simply judged to not be competitive with those from higher ranking applicants.

Financial Aid

  • How do I apply for financial aid?
  • In terms of financial aid, we do not have formal deadlines nor an application process for financial aid. The department awards teaching assistantships (TAs) based on the needs for the classes we are teaching, matching students with appropriate backgrounds to particular classes. We consider all incoming students for TA funding; however, please be aware that priority for TA positions naturally goes to doctoral students. Research assistantships (RAs) are decided by individual faculty members based on their availability of research funding. Most faculty like to observe a student in class for one or more semesters before making an RA offer, although some may extend an offer to exceptionally qualified students before their arrival on campus. In either case, you will need to contact professors in your area research directly about potential RA positions.