Course override instructions

October 18, 2022

It is always worth the effort to ask for an override for a course you need.

For courses in other departments you will need to contact the department that offers the class to request an override.
Please also note, that the processing of overrides is a manual one. It may take some time. You can follow up on a request after an appropriate wait time. For example, I typically don’t process overrides until I get a large batch of them for a particular class.

Common Error messages in Banner 9

  1. Closed Section.” The section is full so, you need to rework your plan – course times. Remove that time and search for another. If there is no other, request a capacity override.
  2. This is a linked lecture/lab course; you must add the corresponding lecture/lab section.” – you have added part of a linked lecture and lab – you need both a lecture section and a lab section to add the class to your schedule.
  3. Prerequisite and Test Score.” If you have taken the pre-req course from another institution, it may not be on your transcript or it may be a substituted course and you need an override from the department offering the course.
  4. Field of Study Restriction – Major” – This section is restricted to a major that you are not classified as. Does another section fit your schedule? If so, select that one. If not, you can request a major restriction override from the department offering the course.

Most Common Types of Overrides:

Class Capacity – the seats available in Banner are 0 (zero).

Pre-requisite – you have taken the pre-req course but it is not in your MSU Banner transcript or was a substituted course (ex. Calculus that was 4 credit hours instead of 3)

Repeat – You have taken a course before and wish to retake without using academic forgiveness.


How to request an override:

Contact the department that owns the course (see below)

If emailing, include the following information:

Your NetID/MSU ID (ex. hp1999, 903464133)

Course Information (ex. EM 2413 01 Eng. Mechanics I  *** remember to include section number(s)

Type of Override needed (ex. Pre-req override)

Term (Winter or Spring, Summer or Fall)


Contacts for common departments: links will be updated as received. 

For ECE overrides, please use this form.

Aerospace Engineering includes EM requests
send any justification (pre-req credit information to
students are strongly encouraged to take the face-to-face sections.  The 501 sections are intended for students co-oping or will be a
distance student.  Each request for the 501 section will be reviewed individual and require additional justification before approval.

Computer Science  (CSE)

Mechanical Engineering (ME)

Industrial Engineering (IE)

Math (MA) -email  for overrides relating to, pre-requisite, repeat, and campus… for capacity overrides please email

Physics (PH) – Email Ms. Galloway (

Contacts for other disciplines are linked here.


Note: College of Business and BCOE will be piloting the Banner Waitlist feature this term. For some Capacity Override Requests, you will use the Banner waitlist. For all other override requests see link above for department contacts.


For an individual appointment with Kylie or Alison, book on this link –