Since its establishment, the Mississippi State University High Voltage Laboratory has catered to the needs of numerous manufacturers, utilities, consulting firms and agencies in evaluating new products, in-service high voltage equipment, assemblies, and materials.
The High Voltage Laboratory provides independent third-party evaluations according to national and international standards and customer specifications.
Examples of recent investigations include:
- Design, qualification, periodic electrical test evaluation of insulating aerial devices (boom trucks) up to 500 kV
- Electrical evaluation of high voltage polymer and porcelain insulators under dry and wet condition
- Tracking and erosion tests of polymer insulators and cutouts
- Measurement of radio influence voltage (RIV) and corona on line and station insulators, switchgear, and hardware up to 500 kV
- Electrical performance evaluation of transmission and distribution arresters
- Lightning, switching impulse evaluation of transmission transformers
- Underground cable dielectric evaluation
- Lightning, switching impulse evaluation of distribution and transmission switchgear assemblies